Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Playing Davy Crockett

Went with my nephew Mark last week to a shooting range in Sussex County to do some target shooting with muzzle loading rifles. These were essentially Civil War technology - a rifled musket which was loaded with powder and bullet through the muzzle using a ram rod and the powder initiated by a percussion primer which was on the outside of the firing chamber.

We used two weapons. One was true Civil War technology in that the primer went on a nipple at the right side of the gun and was struck by an external hammer. Although, unlike a standard issue 1860's Springfield musket, it also had a hair trigger set up. That is there were two triggers. One when pulled, set up the second trigger to fire with very light pressure which made for better accuracy.

The other weapon was a modern muzzle loader with a sliding mechanism with the nipple for the primer located at rear center of the barrel. When you fired, a slide came forward striking the primer and providing a gas seal. This weapon also had a scope.

I should add that the purpose of these weapons is not to re-create the Civil War or the Revolution. They are made to take advantage of State hunting laws which provide for a separate muzzle-loading hunting season.

Now unlike Mark who does hunt (mainly deer which, when he gets one, gets butchered and helps to feed his family - he is not a "trophy" hunter) I have never hunted and probably never will, but I do enjoy target shooting and am also a history buff. So the muzzle loaders were right up my alley.

I am proud to say that after the first few shots that got me used to the upward kick of the guns, I managed to actually hit the target most of the time.

Loading the guns each time was something of a procedure which was no problem done at leisure on a firing range, but I don't think I would have liked to have been a Yankee soldier trying to do it with a thousand pissed-off Confederates charging at me.

Anyway, I am looking forward to going again sometime and also to doing some skeet shooting which Mark also does on occasion.

No comments: